St John’s Church History
Eastbourne was the most bombed town on the south coast during World War 2. The tower of St John’s Church Meads is the only remaining part of the former church left standing after the church was bombed on 4th May 1942. The ground floor of the tower is a small chapel, which houses an art deco war memorial recording the names of 69 local men who gave their lives in the service of their country during the First World War.
When the Eastbourne Through The Wars exhibition opens in the summer of 2019, there will be specially-made films about Eastbourne Through The Wars to watch on the ground floor of the Tower and the first floor will also be open to the public. It will house replica wartime uniforms and memorabilia.