During the Second World War St John’s Church in Meads, Eastbourne, was destroyed in a bombing raid in May 1942; the church tower is the only remaining part of the former church building. It houses the war memorial to 69 local men who gave their lives in the First World War. Thanks to funds given by the congregation and raised from the Heritage Lottery Fund among other charities, the tower has been restored, and we have created a Heritage Exhibition in the tower, highlighting the lives of the 69 local men who died.
EXHIBITION CLOSED for renovations
Saturday 25th January and Saturday 1st February
OPEN 2-4PM – Saturday 8th February
and each Saturday in 2020
The tower of St John’s Church Meads is the only remaining part of the former church which was bombed on 4th May 1942. The tower houses a small chapel and memorial recording the names of 69 local men who died in the First World War. More…